Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Aaahhhhh Summer!

I love summer! This is going to sound so cheesy, but I just had one of those "revert back to childhood" moments when I was walking my dog outside of our apartment. It had just rained, the sky was pink and the flowers (the vast majority that are planted around our complex) were smelling luscious tonight. It reminded me of those moments when my sister, brothers and I would be playing on the big front lawn at The Inn growing up. It's funny how just a simple smell can take you back 20 years. I think that is one of the reasons why I love being back home again and love living where I grew up. Sure we have changed, sure our town is growing, but there is still a sense of  "community" that only we can understand.  I love the fact that you can walk in the grocery store and someone comes up to you and asks how you are after hearing you haven't been feeling well. I love the fact that at most events that take place in our community, we still open with prayer. I love driving down the main strip and seeing that the stadium lights are on at 10 pm at the baseball field because there is a church softball tournament taking place. I love the fact that people defend this area because it is where their blood line begin. I love the fact that the Lord called my family here 30 years ago and that the ministry He called us to hasn't changed much. I love that "family" is the heartbeat of the ministry. I love the fact that we still begin every meal with a song and a blessing, that we begin each day with devotions and that every night you can still hear the laughter of children as they roll down the big hill, just as I did. I miss those days, but at the same time, they are still here and as real as ever. My prayer is that our children will be able to experience the same joy, the same "small town" memories as both Scotty and I have. How lucky we were and how lucky we are to grow up in such a special place!

5 comments:

  1. This is really good Nikki. You should use it in a speech sometime.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, you are too sweet! I was just having a sentimental moment : ) I have missed seeing you and Emily!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love it...you are one very lucky and blessed gal. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Aww..I loved this Nikki!
    It made me cry!

    ReplyDelete