Friday, August 27, 2010

Identity Crisis!

Ok, so I am just going to be really honest here because it really has been eating away at me. About 2 weeks ago, Scotty and I went into Barnes and Nobles. I actually love going into that store. A lot of times, Scotty has to go to the music section and listen to a bunch of different tunes, so I find myself wondering around, familiarizing/educating myself on the latest books, magazines, journals, etc. There has been a number of times I will go in the store sit myself down in the floor of one of the aisles and pull out books on designing. I really enjoying looking at books that show you how to create something beautiful. Ok, so, 2 weeks ago when I went into Barnes and Nobles I all of the sudden had a major identity crisis. I found myself wanting to get a book, but didn't know what to buy. Not only that, I went to the magazine section and couldn't even decide what kind of magazine I wanted. Then, I stood in starbucks line and was so overwhelmed by the choices, I couldn't even decide what I wanted to drink. I found myself asking, " well, what if the book isn't good and I just wasted $20...or what if this new drink isn't good and I just wasted $5 on it..." I got so frustrated with myself. Sure, I  know what I enjoy reading/drinking but when I want to try something new, I don't want to waste the money to try it? Am I making any sense? So, Scotty and I get in the car and I said, "Barnes and Nobles makes me have an identity crisis..." He was like, "uh, what?" Then, the tears started coming...I mean, seriously, where did that come from? (ok, so I was being a total girl at the moment : ) I was like, I am just so frustrated because I don't even know what I like to read right now...I mean I do, but I don't. (You are probably reading this and are like poor girl...she really is confused). But, here is the thing...I am NOT confused! This is what has hit me...the same thing happens when I want to try new make-up...it's like you stand at the make-up counter and you look at the price and think, hmmmmm... so the commercial says it does all this amazing stuff, but does it really? So, you take the leap of faith and buy the it and you get home and you were right in the first place...it doesn't work like the make-up you have used for the past 10 years. And you can't take it back because you already put it on your face. Here is my conclusion to all this. It is the most incredible thing in the world that we live in a country that you are given amples to choose from...I mean seriously...there is no place like America! But, it can be quite overwhelming at the same time. I am actually a very quick decision maker at most things...I like to go, get it done and it is taken care of. However, I have noticed myself getting so bent out of shape over these silly things that mount up to nothing, but at the same time can cost! I find myself always going back to the same things I have always enjoyed reading, the same ol' drink at Starbucks, the same type of magazine, and the same mascara I have always used. I am all about trying new things...I think trying new things makes life so much more fun and exciting. I am all for it! But, in the smaller things that really don't make a difference, just stick to what you know : )

7 comments:

  1. Thank the Lord, I'm not the only one :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nikki, I am so glad you posted this. And one Friday you and I need to do a late lunch. Have I got A LOT to tell you!

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. we had a man visit us once, who grew up as a missionary kid in New Guinea...he said the first time he was in the cereal aisle in an American grocery store he cried...guess he felt like you....on the other hand, my children's eyes grow big and they start grinning when I say 'you may each pick a box'....of course, in their minds, money is not a factor....

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm the opposite. I like too much and either over buy or have to edit my choices at the check out. When it comes to books my bank account is glad I discovered the library.
    I can help you make the makeup choice though! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I totally understand the identity crisis part. It's why I finally just embraced randomness as my identity. It allows me to buy the fashion magazine one day, and then a serious political book the next, followed by a book on photography, and then a crme thriller. I tend to buy a different drink everytime, until I have another crisis and think maybe I don't know myself and I'm not random and start buying the same thing over and over.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Camila, that makes me laugh! I don't always feel that way when I go in there, but for some reason it seriously bothered me that night and I have now bern noticing it more! That is hysterical!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm the worst for this. I won't try anything new unless someone else has it and I will then steal it from them to try. :D

    ReplyDelete